Aabha Rosy Vatsa




The Ocean

O mighty ocean
I wondered about you
When as a young lass
I held sea shells on my hands

How pretty they looked
A gift from you
I played some more
Hoping to see you

And one fine day
I almost gasped
When in a flash
I saw you without warning

The never ceasing rhythm
Of perpetual waves
Kissing the beach
Leaving a bevy of snails

I threw aside my slippers
And ran amok on the wet sands
You continued
To sing your song

How many worlds do you hide?
In your gigantic bosom?
How many creatures
Call you home?

From the largest whales
To the terrifying sharks
The laughing dolphins
To the tiniest plankton

I have often wondered
How old are you
As long as mankind
Or even more?

I have watched the sun set
On your brilliant horizon
Your waters turning
An autumn gold

You continue to thrive
Timeless joy of nature
And I continue to dance
At your golden feet







Ganga, And A Cry

I am Ganga
Not merely a stream
Creak
Brook
Or rivulet
But a mighty river

Revered  by millions
Praised by the Vedas
I am home to aquatic life
Living in my habitat

People come to me
For refuge
Upliftment
Cure of disease
Salvation
And to quench their thirst

Worshipped in Rishikesh
Haridwar
Kashi and
Allahabad
I provide succor to millions
Living by my banks

But man's senseless, meaningless
And selfish wants
Has earned me the tag
Of a most polluted river

Shame on you!
From a sacred and life giving river
Worshipped since civilization
You have reduced me
To a cauldron of pollution and death

The cleaning drive
Failed miserably
Doomed by man's greed
And selfishness

Today I am being accused
Of being carcinogenic
But who made me so?
You, I the greedy man!

You have dumped my soul
With lethal chemicals
Heavy metals
To run your factories
A mindless brutish move

Behold!
You have made me
An agent of disease

Behold!
Wake up now
And stop this plundering
Let me not be
A harbinger of death
Stop this maniacal, pollution
Of my sacred waters

Let the new plans
Rinse me to my former glory
Let me once again be the harbinger of life
Let me be as sacred
As the Vedas sang of my glory
Free me from pollution
O senseless man!

Copyright Aabha Rosy Vatsa






Dawn

Hail Dawn!
You arrive surreptitiously
Sweeping aside
The dark studded night
Emerging with a million promises
Of unforgettable possibilities

Cloaked in myriad hues
Pink, blushing rise, the orange and crimson
Peeping tantalizingly
From the maze of feathery clouds
Silently announcing
The advent of a brand new day

The Koel coos happily
Delighting in the pre monsoon April showers
Or does she go into raptures
At the ripening of Alphonso mangoes
In the orchard?

The sparrows, and Mynahs and the tiny Sun birds
Follow suit
Singing their morning sing
As melodious as a morning raga

The lilting sound
Of a night long jagran
Fills the air with Devotional songs of Shakti
Mingling with the strains of Gurbani
And the poetic call to Allah
Vibrating from the mosque
As the morning service from the Church
Praising the Lord

A waft of fragrance
Breezes into my home
From the morning rituals of my neighbor
Even as the temple bells
Peal to invoke the Almighty


Dawn, you are the celebration
Of a new day
As the silver half moon
Glides gently into oblivion
And the Sun ascends the horizon

Dawn, and you arrive
With a gift of a million possibilities
For yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Today I am endowed with the power
Of a new beginning
To one again harness my dreams
And make them happen

Each morning
You give me a blank canvas
To fill in the rainbow tints
Of my dreams and aspirations

Be with me each day
And shepherd me
To pursue life
As the most precious gift from the Almighty.

Aabha Rosy Vatsa

Aabha Rosy Vatsa from is a Poet, Author,  writer, and blogger and an Ex teacher. She has been awarded the World Icon of Peace' award, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Women Empowerment  award, Queens, Inspiring gems of India award, and Icons and Crusaders awards and Margdarshan award.
She has published fourteen books and has contributed poems in over a dozen anthologies. A die hard optimist, and she believes in the power of the written word. Deeply Spiritual, she believes in Karma.