Jennifer Carr





The Volcano

Sometimes I am tired
of feeling the inferno
bubbling up inside
loud noises
deafening my ears
from the explosions
of lava crashing
silent venomous words awakening
violently shaking my core
red hot molten lava
running, running
down the mountainside
there is no escaping
the heat from the fire
so orange and so red
the silent screams
the insanity in my mind
turning into tears
pouring from my eyes
burning my face
ready to explode
from the inside
to the outside







The Table
In The Clouds

My children know
there is a God
but don’t know yet
they have their own God
up in the skies
keeping them safe
over these years
from the world
and chaos of man
they have survived
somehow, someway
because of your angels
the wings of heavens
now an embrace
to their innocent dreams
thoughts their young eyes
see things my old mind
has long forgotten
but I am still thirsty
for the sweet nectar
that pours from the cup
of the Gods in the sky
I am still hungry
to feast on lasting faith
at the table in the clouds
from which the Gods
have the perfect food
to feed the mouths
of my babes






The Silent Intruder

Sneaking around
Time and time again
Looking for an open window
Unlocked front door perhaps
Any loose crevice or corner
The silent intruder will find it
And strike once again
With never any remorse
Anytime of the day or night
The unwelcome guest
Invades my personal space
When I least expect it
Meddling in my mind
Bringing unwanted thoughts
This thief steals my happiness
As these lapses of sanity
Become greater and greater
Panic sets in and I want to fight
But there is just one problem
I have never been a fighter
As I wipe the tears away
My heart is pumping
The terror of being trapped
Alone with this anxiety
is too much to think about
Tangled in this tunnel vision
I must find a way back to sanity







Map to Motherhood

Traveling on a good solid trail
until a bump in the way
led me to a dangerous detour
of winding twists and turns
the route becoming more rocky 
I never saw the speed limit sign
warning me to slowdown
as I continued speeding ahead
never realizing I was lost and alone
even when I came to the crossroads
I still disappeared into the shadows
where the thunderstorms washed away
any chance of finding the way back home again
I stopped looking over my shoulder
as my dreams disappeared into grey skies
along with the compass
and my sense of direction
all hope seemed lost
until one day
A miracle happened
There was a ray of hope
a small ray of sunlight beamed onto my path
I felt it and I followed it
a heartbeat that was felt long
before his heart began to beat
he brought me somewhere out of nowhere
breaking into old lost forgotten dreams
In a universal moment
I was dancing in a different direction
Towards tomorrow’s bright promise
the compass that carved a new path
he was the map that led me to mother hood
The son I would come to know as my Milagro






Meeting Myself

I spent a lifetime
running from myself
only to find everywhere
I went there I was
until one day I realized
that the one thing
I was looking for
was the one thing
I was running from
my shoes were worn
and my feet so weary
I was so tired of running
and I think somehow
God made me realize
that I had ran long enough
I stopped in my tracks
and came face to face with myself
I had no fear when I looked in the mirror
There was actually a beautiful woman
I knew very little about
spending so much time
latching onto exterior items
there never was any time
spent on the interior side
of the walls of my heart
I never had my own interests
nor knew what kind of things
that make me tick inside
allowing the light
to pour into my heart
dispelled the darkness
the secrets and the shadows
that kept me hiding in fear
seeing myself in the sunlight
allowed me to stop and sit
on a bench to take a break
I paused and I prayed 
becoming mindful
that on that very day
I realized for me
to get to know myself
I realized I should be
walking not running
in this world around me


 Jennifer Carr


Jennifer Carr lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico with her partner and two children. She is an EMT, Firefighter and Poet. When she is not working at the local hospital or firehouse, she spends way too much time reading and writing poetry. Her poetry has been published in print by Triumph House Poetry With a Purpose and in many anthologies. Her poetry has been published on-line most recently in the Organic Journal ‘Under the Basho’ in the Modern Haiku section. Jennifer loves flying by her own wings and looks for any opportunity to soar to new heights. Don’t forget to follow her on Twitter @PoetryHaiku13 (https://twitter.com/Poetryhaiku13). Jennifer can be found on Facebook as Jennifer Carr Munoz or on Instagram.