John FitzGerald





Talking To Rilke


I see you know loneliness, wanting not just words,
but for verse to sprinkle mystery on the breeze
and feed the page, as if every moment of existence
is observed and respected for its holiness.
And it is unique not just because of itself,
but because of its unity with you,
transcending either in its wholeness.

Then there is the sound life makes,
as if its shadow passed,
it mourns every loss to rejoice every birth.
For in the land where shadows go it must be dark
inasmuch as they mingle.

A phantom flashes on the wall, and startles—
is something crawling? Just the wind.
Don’t get killed when you’re in love.
Because you didn’t when you were alone.

Loneliness is always waiting.
Waiting for touches, tones, arrivals.
Waiting for worlds to fill the page.
Waiting at the dusky outskirts,
like a lion crouched in patient approach,
with a stare so intense it burns your back.

And loneliness waits as it does for existence,
to become what it must when nothing is left.
Don’t run. You have no choice but be one with it,
recognize it as yourself with nowhere else to go. 

A theme begins to unfold, exposed.
Still, so as not to be noticed.
Keep your back turned till the end.
No lion can bear the face of a poet. 
Even the cover photo romances.

Reminds me how we all crave fire.
I laugh, and cover your face with this page,
words now a hundred times their size, reverse
our void with verses, no longer waiting. 






Magus

I would be one of the wanderers,
with heaven watching.
Observe, you reflections, I glance away.

Notice wonder spring forth its ancientness,
steep the spell held in spices, hypnotized.
In dreams I descend twenty steps at a time,

am afraid how I’ll land if I fly too high.
I try not to say I, and claim myself,
a sign of consciousness uncovering.

Who calls me, from such transience?
We will ourselves into vastness,
like children at graves,

a wind with just one chance to blow,
both toward and away from itself in surprise,
or life is waste. 

There are shooting stars, then that which lingers,
even hovers like a hawk, a halo.
None can bear looking straight toward the sun.

We see it reflect off the ocean by day, the moon at night.
Imagine someone’s sun fly away.
What must it search for, in its burning?

Galaxies witness it bursting through silence.
May it glow to the end in spite of where it finds itself.
Let innocence cling to the universe, swirling,

get high and go hungry, distill our minds
till we can’t control what pours from inside,
and at heart remain addicts, ever humble.








Aphrodite

For a good group of words, take the night,
and let it unfold into such a very simple thing
as is impossible to hear,
like rain at a distance, or shore from a cliff. 
I’ve forgotten how I feel,
as if run through by light,
I find no further truths. 

Attune to air, where sound dwells a moment,
its waves boiled down to an instant, anointed in me.
For days now I have pictured silence
as something meaningful, a story in and of itself.

There, in the loneliness, should be a song,
and here, right here, could go murmurs
or whispers of footsteps forever.

I walk by the ocean where no flowers grow,
because they couldn’t bear the beauty.
I find a white stone that was a mountain when I was a star.
It reminds me we’ll all be sand one day, so I let go,
but we are moved.

Then this woman wades in the tide.
She is part of the sunset, the clouds, the ocean.
The whole horizon wraps around her,
sending me telepathic thoughts of wonder and hope, 
till I can’t help but listen for God. 

John FitzGerald


John FitzGerald is a poet and attorney for the disabled. His poetry collections include Favorite Bedtime Stories, finalist for the Julie Suk Book Award, and The Mind, semifinalist for the Alice James Book Award. Other works include Primate, a novel & screenplay, and the non-fiction For All I Know.  He is widely published in literary journals and anthologies, notably The Warwick Review, World Literature Today, The Taos Journal of Poetry and Art, December, From the Fishouse, The American Journal of Poetry, Plume, Human and Inhuman Monstrous Poems, From the Four-Chambered Heart: In Tribute to Anais Nin, and Poetry: Reading it, Writing it, Publishing it. John FitzGerald’s four books include Favorite Bedtime Stories and The Mind, semifinalist for the Alice James Book Award. Other works include The Essence of Life, Primate, and the non-fiction For All I Know. He is widely anthologized.